Kansas City Girls Academy is a program for girls struggling in life. It is designed to help girls identify problem behaviors and build inner strength to overcome challenges. Effective communication skills are developed, and positive coping strategies are learned. Kansas City Girls Academy uses a multi-therapeutic model.
The program is intentionally designed to allow the girls to progress through a level system to prepare them for a healthy reintroduction into their family. This system includes such practices as positive peer pressure, reward and discipline consequences for actions, increased responsibilities as their progress warrants, and ongoing daily staff interaction.
If Your Girl Was Adopted, is Having Emotional Difficulties, Failing in School, or Diagnosed with ADHD or Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD), this School is Designed Just for Her.
Specific Treatment Models Include:
Group Therapy – This consists of multiple small group sessions weekly, led by our counselors and staff. These groups include substance abuse, problem-solving, positive peer culture, emotional management, safe dates, and specialty groups designed for specific treatment needs. All group processes foster emotional growth in a safe and confidential setting.
Individual Therapy – is provided to each student with a minimum of one session every other week. Sessions help students gain insights into their individual behaviors and establishes a trusting relationship with their counselor. In this setting, students process issues too
sensitive for them to share with a group.
Family Therapy – is provided via weekly teleconference. Parents contribute to treatment as an integral part of the program. Kansas City Girls Academy encourages families to visit during planned family weekends. Family and students meet with their primary counselor for therapy. Parents and children also participate in parent support groups, parent-teacher conferences, workshops, and graduation ceremonies.
Equine (Horse) Therapy – In partnership with Returning Glory, we offer each girl horse therapy. During activities with horses, youth will learn alternative ways of responding to difficult situations rather than reacting. They begin to find hope for their challenging life issues as they ‘experience’ relational changes with their horse and begin to explore their God-created uniqueness and destiny. Horses are powerful and effective in helping people, whether child, youth or adult. They have much to teach us about our patterns of behavior, communication, and relationships. Horses are excellent “teachers,” coupled with trained facilitators certified in personal and social development, interaction with horses can often provide invaluable assistance in addressing challenging life issues in a fun, action-oriented, non-threatening learning environment.
Edgenuity Virtual Academy is a leading provider of online curriculum and instructional services. It is in use by more than 20,000 schools, including 20 of the 25 largest school districts, to meet academic goals and improve student outcomes.
Edgenuity Virtual Academy is accredited through Cognia (formerly AdvancED) and the Northwest Accreditation Commission (NWAC) and as such has nationally recognized accreditation. This is the same accreditation awarded to public schools and is fully recognized by high schools and colleges across the country. The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has also approved the Edgenuity instructional model and curriculum for online instruction of student athletes.
While the Edgenuity program is intuitive and self-paced, our own certified classroom teachers make sure that our students keep up their coursework, offer tutoring, answer any questions, and give each student plenty of encouragement. Our teachers and parents as well are able to see at a glance how well each student is doing, through the online Edgenuity portal. Students who fail to keep up or are having difficulty with a certain topic are specifically helped, but if they are just dragging their feet out of rebellion, they may lose out on some privileges like outings and fun times until they choose to get caught up. Edgenuity offers MOCAP-approved Instructional Services.
- Multi Award-winning platforms for virtual learning.
- Fully accredited by COGNIA, formerly known as Advanced Ed.
- Three levels of Internet filtering/monitoring for a safe & secure online learning experience.
- Flexible course options for grade levels 6-12.
- College courses available for those that graduate HS while in the program.
Our teachers and counselors also lead our own faith-based character-building training courses with the girls, which are a key aspect of our overall program. We utilize landmark books by today’s leading evangelical Christian authors to teach key concepts, and of course, the girls are immersed in daily biblical instruction. Christian speakers and musicians regularly come to our campus to provide spiritual instruction, encouragement, and motivation and the girls are taken to off-campus spiritual events.
Increasing Student Engagement, Progress, and Achievement
Keeping students engaged in what they’re learning is vital to ensuring they master standards so they can move forward in their education
Edgenuity is an online classroom program that is especially helpful for students who are failing or have fallen behind in their studies. It meets the rigor of Common Core and state standards, as well as various state’s graduation requirements. Our online courses and curriculum are grounded in research and are aligned to state standards.
Edgenuity lays out the curriculum using a variety of teaching strategies and assessment tools such as direct instruction video, use of e-notes, transcripts of lessons, warm-ups, practice journals, quizzes, tests, writing exams, etc.
Students who want to use their time at KCGA to get ahead can often complete two courses in the same amount of time it would take to complete one classroom course, allowing them to make up credits that they missed out on prior to attending KCGA, or allowing them to get ahead or retake courses to improve their GPA.
Edgenuity Makes Learning Easy for All Students
- On-screen teachers model problem solving by thinking aloud, allowing students to understand how experts think about mathematics.
- Lessons include a guiding question to promote inquiry and focus on big ideas.
- Students read and write, explore and create, practice, predict, and more in order to develop the analytical and critical thinking skills they need to succeed both now and in the future.
- An abundance of rich graphics, charts, diagrams, animations, and simulations help students relate to and visualize the content. Our full suite of learning tools, including read aloud, text translation, and Guided Notes in select core courses, helps students access content, organize information, and complete assignments.
- A variety of assessments test for mastery and immediately provide direct, actionable feedback so students can monitor their own progress and teachers can step in to provide additional help when needed. Pretests assess students’ strengths and weaknesses, and help build an individualized content review program so students only receive instruction and practice on skills they have yet to master.
- Performance tasks allow students to demonstrate understanding with meaningful, real-world applications.
- Students can access data to monitor their own understanding and stay on track, and educators receive real-time data and reports to monitor students’ progress and performance.
Our high school graduates are able to transition immediately into general education college courses with Liberty University. Once a student has transitioned to Liberty University, their educational path is their own. Students have the ability to keep a collegiate pace while attending KCGA. Several options open up for transitioning into a university setting after KCGA.
Our 11th- and 12th-grade students are enrolled in Schoolastic Assessment Test (SAT) prep classes, with videos, two months in advance of test date. SAT preparation hones the student’s critical thinking skills, broadens their vocabulary base, and develops grammatically correct writing for the SAT essay. Armed with these tools, the student is primed and ready for maximum performance on the College Board SAT test, which is necessary for college entrance.
Kansas City Girl’s Academy
5506 Cambridge Ave, Kansas City, MO 64129
PHONE: (816) 924-6565