Pine Mountain is an adventure-based year-round program and school for adolescent boys ages 12-17 are struggling with anger, defiance, minor substance abuse, and other destructive choices.
The program enrolls boys ages 12-17 who have life-controlling issues or have gotten off track in life. Our Christian boarding school for boys feels like a home. The beautiful 36-acre campus gives boys a peaceful and spacious setting to make lasting life change. We believe that the development of healthy hobbies, the care of animals, and a focus on life skills and education will make a significant difference in the lives of teens who are overcoming life-controlling issues. While enrolled in Pine Mountain Boys Academy, the boys enjoy nature, animals, and work on their education in our accredited private school.
A Relational Atmosphere that Brings Growth
Pine Mountain Boys Academy centers on relationships. We introduce boys to Jesus Christ, believing that this relationship above all others has the power to heal and transform hurting lives. Our committed staff understands these young men’s situations, many from personal experience, and they love the boys like family. We help them to grow in their relationships with themselves and with each other and, in time, to heal broken relationships with their parents and families.
Boys come to us typically with a careless attitude about life. Many have acquired dysfunctional routes, behaviors, and attitudes to satisfy primary needs of security and significance. We have seen that a proper focus on the future and a relationship with God will change their focus in life toward excitement for their future.
Counseling here generally involves integrating principles from various psychological disciplines and with varying philosophical underpinnings. We embrace the appropriation of this information where it can facilitate discipleship. Most Christian therapists would state that any sound therapeutic process’s goal is life and spiritual mentoring, and discipleship.
Counseling to Promote Healthy Choices
Each student is specially assigned to the caseload of a Pine Mountain Boys Academy on-site counselor. Along with individual and group counseling, this counselor is also responsible for ensuring smooth delivery of all Pine Mountain Boys Academy’s services to the student and family. The counselor is the point of contact for the family, available to answer questions and update the student’s progress.
Group counseling occurs regularly, guided by the pastoral counselors on staff here at Pine Mountain Boys Academy. This time is utilized to allow students an opportunity to grapple with and resolve commonly faced issues. Students learn to constructively express their thoughts, ideas, and questions in an environment where each member is accepted and respected. Group counseling is not utilized to scrutinize individual members or glorify past poor decisions.
Our school curriculum is designed in such a way to emphasize introspective thinking and works hand-in-hand with our Christian counseling. Tailored for the individual student, the work required encourages our students to examine areas of their lives that need change, which comes through knowing God – His character and His word.
Each evening, we also hold Evening Devotions. This special time of sharing is staff-directed and designed to promote growth and unity in the dorm. Some of the topics that may be discussed include Positive Peer Influence, Accountability, Personal Responsibility, Peer Reconciliation and Conflict Resolution.
The first hour of each school day is devoted to a therapeutic focus. Our therapeutic curriculum is designed in such a way to emphasize introspective thinking and works hand-in-hand with our Christian counseling. Tailored for the individual student, the work required encourages our students to examine areas of their lives that need change, which comes through knowing God – His character and His word. Students must complete 11 units before graduation from our program, which is accomplished by meeting daily and weekly goals.
We take a therapeutic approach that harnesses the healing and restorative power of God’s creation world to promote mental, emotional, and physical well-being. It involves immersing the boy in natural environments such as forests, parks, gardens, or other natural settings to improve one’s mental health and overall quality of life. Here are some key aspects of nature therapy:
Outdoor Exposure: Nature therapy encourages individuals to spend time outdoors and connect with the natural world. This can include activities like hiking, camping, gardening, or simply sitting in a natural setting.
Mindfulness and Presence: Practitioners of nature therapy often emphasize mindfulness and being fully present in the moment while in nature. This means paying close attention to sensory experiences, such as the sounds, scents, textures, and sights of the natural environment.
Stress Reduction: Spending time in nature has been shown to reduce stress levels. Nature therapy can help lower cortisol (a stress hormone) levels, leading to increased relaxation and a sense of calm.
Improved Mental Health: Nature therapy is often used as a complementary treatment for various mental health conditions, including anxiety, depression, and stress-related disorders. It can promote emotional well-being and enhance mood.
Physical Health Benefits: Being in nature can also have physical health benefits. It encourages physical activity, which can lead to improved fitness and cardiovascular health.
Overall, nature therapy recognizes the therapeutic potential of the natural world and encourages the boys to engage with it intentionally to enhance their well-being and connection to the environment.
Our Aftercare Program
Pine Mountain Boys Academy is committed to the continued success of our students. Before completing the program, a Parent/Student contract will be developed by the counselor, student, and family. The contract’s goal will be to define and uphold the boundaries within the home. The contract topics include the re-establishment of trust, specific responsibilities, guidelines, conflict resolution, educational goals, and spiritual commitments. Pine Mountain Boys Academy will work with the student and family to set up a home support system before the student graduates from the program.
Upon graduation, we will periodically contact the graduate and welcome the graduate and family to contact their counselor for further help or guidance following the program’s closure.
A Second Chance at Education
Boys come to us with a wide variety of academic records, often with a history of failing grades and skipped classes. For many of our students, enrollment with Pine Mountain Boys Academy means a second chance at graduating high school, a possibility that their former lifestyle had nearly destroyed. Our self-paced curriculum, along with one-on-one instruction from our teaching staff, allows boys to gain mastery of subjects and earn missed credits toward a high school diploma.
Pine Mountain Boys Academy offers:
- Accreditation – The security of knowing dual enrollment courses are held to high-quality standards necessary for the academy to maintain accreditation which is recognized worldwide by colleges and universities.
- Teachers – Uniquely qualified and certified to teach subject-specific distance learning courses to our students.
- Quality Curriculum – Pine Mountain Boys Academy utilizes the Ignitia curriculum, the newest learning management system from Alpha Omega Publications. Built exclusively for Christian schools, this comprehensive curriculum includes lessons in five core subject areas: language arts, math, science, history, and Bible, with a diverse list of electives also available. Ignitia courses are rigorous and interactive, but they provide instruction based on a Christian worldview, encouraging students to consider challenging questions from a biblical perspective. Courses include text-based lessons, assignments, quizzes, and tests that engage students while they learn. Optional external web links, interactive learning games, audio and video clips, and off-computer assignments help students develop the skills necessary for academic success in a media-rich environment.
- Personalized Assignments – Students get a consolidated view of daily assignments, curriculum overviews, due dates, subject reviews, and grades with this organizational feature geared to keep them on track.
- Prescriptive Credit Recovery – Diagnostic testing in language arts and math allows teachers to identify content areas in which students need review. Students who previously failed a course can recover the credits they need to graduate without repeating the entire course.
- Strong, Reliable Safeguards – Role-based access controls, automatic expiration, and other security features enforce and support a credible learning experience. Student computers are programmed to restrict all internet access, except Academy-related websites. To limit distractions and provide an environment conducive to learning, students do not have access to email or social networking sites while attending Pine Mountain Boys Academy.
Call (888) 452-7111 or fill in the inquiry form below. Learn How Low Our Tuition Rates are Compared to Other Therapeutic Boarding Schools.
Yes! Please, I’d Like to Know the Tuition and Other
Helpful Information about Pine Mountain Academy
Your contact information will be kept confidential. Indicate when would be the best time for us to be in contact with you.
God directed my steps and changed me at Pine Mountain Boys Academy, one step at a time. He healed all the anger and everything else in my life before. I figured out that I couldn’t do things on my own but that God was the only one who could direct my life.
I decided to give God a chance and surrender everything to Him. At Pine Mountain Boys Academy, I finally realized all the things I’ve been going through didn’t have to be there anymore. Since then, my life has never been the same.